Where random things are found...

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Admiral Ackbar Mask




IT'S A TRAP!!! Who didn't see that one coming? I still can't believe this thing is actually in one piece. It's quite a surprise considering it is just on of those really cheap Halloween masks that go on your head using a rubber band.
Believe it or not but this actually officially licensed by Lucasfilm Ltd themselves. Which means Lucasfilm Ltd actually decided to make very cheap Halloween masks based on many characters that weren't even major roles in the Star Wars franchise.



This thing went for $1.39 in 1983 when it was made. According to the Relative Value of Money by GDP this would cost about $5.68 and that is not including the overpricing of Star Wars merchandise and Admiral Ackbar's popularity today. As you can see it was made in Brooklyn for the Return of the Jedi. Apparently, it is also "Flame Proof" and "Comfortable". I'm not sure if you remember wearing that type of mask but the paper is not comfortable really and I doubt they are flame proof. Obviously, I haven't put this to the test and I'm not going to.
You may wonder how I've got this to begin with since it is older than me. Well, when I was little my Grandma had a bunch of Halloween masks and costumes in her guest room closet for us to play with. This included some really random masks and some unique ones like Admiral Ackbar and ET. I'll leave ET for another day though.

No comments:

Post a Comment